This Baby Red Potato Salad is light on mayonnaise, making it your new go-to for summer barbecues.
Baby Red Potato Salad
I love a good homemade potato salad, and it’s absolutely delicious, especially if you’re not a fan of the mayonnaise-filled traditional potato salad. It uses just a tablespoon of mayo but still has a sauce rich in Dijon mustard, olive oil, and red wine vinegar. And since it uses red potatoes, there’s no need to peel the potatoes, so it’s quick too! For more Light Potato Salad Recipes, Try This Rainbow Potato Salad and Summer Potato Salad with Apples.
This healthy red potato salad is my favorite way to enjoy potato salad. Red potatoes provide vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, iron and dietary fiber. They are even higher in fiber when eaten with the skins on.
Should Potatoes Be Shredded Before Boiling for Potato Salad?
Yes, I like to cut my potatoes into similar sized pieces so that they cook quicker and more evenly.
How to Make Baby Red Potato Salad
Potato salad is very easy to make. While your potatoes are boiling, prepare and mix all the other ingredients together. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Vegetables: Baby Red Potato, Green Capsicum, Red Onion, Scallion
- Sauce: Dijon mustard, extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, mayonnaise, salt and pepper
what to serve with potato salad
- If you can’t find baby red potatoes, use regular red or gold potatoes.
- Add green capsicum with black pepper of any other color or add ajwain.
- Swap red onions for shallots.
- Add fresh fennel to this potato salad.
More summer side dishes you’ll love:
Baby Red Potato Salad
This Baby Red Potato Salad is the perfect potluck side or lunch side for a summer BBQ or picnic. It’s light and easy to make with lots of fresh flavor.
- 4 cup baby red potatoes, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Red onion, finely chopped
- 3 scallions, pieces
- 1 1/2 spoon Dijon mustard
- 1 spoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 spoon Red wine vinegar
- 1 spoon low fat mayonnaise
- salt and fresh pepper
Boil a pot of salted water. Add potatoes and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. drain.
While potatoes are boiling, mix red onion, green pepper, mustard, olive oil, vinegar and mayonnaise and season with salt and pepper.
Once the potatoes are cooked, put them in a bowl with the dressing and add the scallions and additional salt and pepper to taste.
Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Serving: 3/4 cup, Calories: 107.2kcal, Carbohydrates: 17.8g, Protein: 2.2g, fat: 3.2g, Fiber: 2.1g
Blue Smart Points: 3
Green Smart Points: 3
Purple Smart Points: 1
Digit +: 3
Keywords: gluten free vegetarian diet