Hawaiian hay stacks are the ultimate layered comfort food! Combine rice, shredded chicken, and hearty gravy with your favorite toppings in this easy dinner.
Despite the name, this dish doesn’t actually come from Hawaii! It is basically a potluck dish. It’s delicious when paired with other potluck favorites like baked beans, poppy fruit salad, And Loaded Creamy Ranch Dip!
Quick and Delicious Hawaiian Grass Recipe
I am here to share one of my favorite dinner recipes! You are in for a treat with this. i have one Huge Obsession with Hawaiian haystack. In case you haven’t heard of them, it’s usually some sort of shredded meat over rice. I love using chicken! From there, you add the gravy and all your favorite toppings! Pineapple, shredded cheese, and crunchy chow mein noodles are just a few of the countless options! It’s super easy to put together and everyone in your family can customize their plate to their liking! Perfect for topping lovers and picky eaters alike.
Honestly, this dinner is kind of a life saver. Perfect for busy weekends when my kids are hungry. It is very easy to make and less expensive too! What I get from the store is usually the toppings. All the other ingredients are pantry staples! And as if you needed another reason to make it, Hawaiian hay stacks are perfect to make ahead of time. I like to have some rice and chicken on hand so that once it’s time to eat everything is ready to go! There’s nothing better than a bed of rice topped with warm, creamy chicken. Then, add all your favorite delicious toppings and you have a winner! It’s a hit! For even easier preparation, use my Foolproof Instant Pot Method To cook rice!
Ingredients for Hawaiian Haystacks
The ingredients for Hawaiian haystack vary slightly from region to region. Here are my recipes and some of my favorite toppings! Each of these are completely interchangeable, so feel free to get creative and add your own! Your family will love it! The measurements for each ingredient are in the recipe card below.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: This is the base of your creamy chicken gravy! you can use both home make And the store-bought version.
- sour creamWhen you add sour cream to your gravy, you give it that perfect tangy taste.
- Milk: Add milk to the milk to adjust the consistency of the gravy. You can use any type you like here, but I prefer high fat milk for extra creaminess!
- shredded rooster: You can cook and shred your own chicken, but I prefer to buy it pre-cooked to make things a little easier. I’ll even sometimes pick up the rotisserie chicken and set it aside for a quick fix!
- Chilly: Used to add flavor to your gravy. You can add it to taste!
- Italian seasoningThis is my secret ingredient to add the right flavor to the gravy. I like to make my own mix of Italian seasonings at home so that I can customize the flavors!
- cooked rice: I use white rice for a more traditional version of this recipe. You can also swap it for brown or wild rice.
Optional Toppings for Haystacks
The best part about this recipe is that you can add whatever toppings you want! The savory taste of chicken gravy makes it versatile. Here are a few of my favorites!
- Mandarin oranges
- sliced olives
- chopped green onion
- shredded cheese
- diced tomatoes
- Chow Mein Noodles
Making Easy Hawaiian Haystacks
It’s only 2. Takes crazy easy Steps to prepare this dish. Yep, you read that right! While the steps for making Hawaiian hay stacks are simple, the flavor is anything but! Chicken gravy is bursting with savory flavor and hints of black pepper, basil, and oregano! It’s the perfect comfort food in a pinch.
- mix wet ingredients: Let’s begin! First, put the cream of chicken, sour cream, and milk in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Stir until hot.
- Add Chicken and Seasonings: Next, add the chicken, pepper and Italian seasoning. Cook for 3-5 minutes until hot. To finish, serve over rice and top with your favorite toppings.
Since at its core this recipe is just rice and chicken gravy, it goes well with almost anything! can serve you with dinner rolls or even breadsticks *Dole* for dipping in the gravy. even though it’s not a recipe technically Hawaiian, This Will Taste Incredible With Some Homemade Hawaiian Sweet Rolls, very! One of my personal favorite side dishes is to serve hay slaw with a green salad. The mild, fresh flavor of the salad really pairs well with the hearty flavor of a Hawaiian hay slaw.
Hawaiian Grass Stack Tips and Tricks
These easy tips can help you step up this delicious, simple dish! Be prepared to make dinner that everyone wants more! This is one of my absolute favourites.
- using a crock pot: I like to use the crockpot to keep my chicken gravy warm during dinner. This is especially important if you’re bringing it to a potluck and the food is going to be served for a long time! Hot chicken is the key to the best Hawaiian hay stacks.
- extra toppingsIn addition to the toppings I listed in this recipe, there are many more delicious options! Sliced almonds, sliced ham, avocado slices, shredded coconut, bacon bits, sautéed onions, and chopped bell pepper are other must-have toppings!
- Make Cream of Chicken from ScratchThe best way to get the optimum flavor of the gravy is to make your own gravy! The taste is much fresher and richer than in the store! And the best part? It only requires a few handy ingredients to put together. you can find my recipe Here!
Storing Leftover Hawaiian Haystacks
Hawaiian hay stacks are the ultimate leftover recipe. It’s so easy to reheat gravy! Make some rice, and take the toppings out of your cupboard! Honestly, the taste is only as good as what you made it!
- in the refrigeratorIt is best to store your rice and gravy separately so that it does not get soggy when mixed. Keep both in an airtight container until ready to reheat. Rice can be kept for 3-4 days and chicken gravy for 5 days.
- hot all the time: My recommended way to reheat your gravy is over the stove. Keep on medium heat and stir until hot. If I’m not making fresh rice to go with it, I’ll put the leftover rice in the microwave for 30-minute intervals until it’s hot. Make sure to sprinkle some water over it and cover with paper towels while cooking. This will keep it nice and fluffy!
Add cream of chicken, sour cream, and milk to a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Stir until hot.
I add chicken, pepper and Italian seasoning. Cook for 3-5 minutes until hot. Serve over rice and top with your favorite toppings.
Originally posted on March 25, 2016
calories389kcal (19%)Carbohydrate33Yes (1 1%)protein24Yes (48%)Fat17Yes (26%)Saturated fat10Yes (50%)cholesterol91mg (30%)sodium715mg (30%)potassium427mg (12%)fiber1Yes (4%)Sugar1Yes (1%)Vitamin A471IU (9%)vitamin C6mg (7%)calcium132mg (13%)iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is an estimate only. The nutritional value and nutritional value of each recipe will vary based on the brands you use, the measuring methods, and portion sizes per household.