Second-ranked Arya Sabalenka says she has tested positive for coronavirus and will miss the upcoming BNP Paribas Open
ByThe Associated Press
October 3, 2021 at 8:17 am
• read 2 minutes
Indian Wells, California – Second place Aryna Sabalenka says she has tested positive for coronavirus And will miss out on the upcoming BNP Paribas Open.
The Belarusian was to be the top seed for the October 4–17 tournament at Indian Wells, when No. 1 Wimbledon champion Ash Barty withdrew to rest at home. Australia.
“Unfortunately I have tested positive at Indian Wells and will not be able to compete,” Sabalenka wrote on Instagram on Saturday. “I have started my isolation and I will be here till I am cleared by the doctors and Health Officer. So far I am feeling fine but really sad to not be able to play this year.”
The tournament in the desert of Southern California would have been Sabalenca’s first competitive event since losing to Leyla Fernandez in the semifinals of the US Open on 10 September.
He is the latest of players not to compete at Indian Wells, with Barty, Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams in the women’s side and Novak Djokovic in the men’s tournament. The BNP Paribas Open was postponed from the normal date of March due to the coronavirus pandemic.
More AP Tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis and https://twitter.com/AP—Sports