in

US to restore $1B for California’s troubled bullet train


The federal government has struck a deal to restore nearly $1 billion in funding for California’s troubled bullet train

Sacramento, Calif. – The federal government has reached an agreement to restore nearly $1 billion in funding for California’s beleaguered bullet train, Governor Gavin Newsom.

The US Department of Transportation finalized negotiations to restore funding for a high-speed rail project canceled by the Trump administration in 2019, Newsom said Thursday night.

The resumption of “$929 million in grant funding” will “continue job creation, propel the project forward and move the state one step closer to running trains in California,” Newsom said in a statement.

In 2008 California voters approved about $10 billion in bond money to build a high-speed rail line connecting Los Angeles and San Francisco, which was to run through 2020.

But the project was plagued by cost overruns and delays. Officials now hope to have trains running on a section through the state’s Central Valley agricultural region by 2029.

Critics have ridiculed the section as a “train going nowhere”, but supporters say it is a necessary test and precursor to connecting more populated areas.

The project’s business plan expects environmental approval for 500 miles (805 kilometers) between Los Angeles and San Francisco by 2023. Completion of the entire line depends on funding and other unknowns.

Newsom unveiled a budget proposal last month that includes $4.2 billion for the project, including bond money approved by voters in 2008.

.



Source link

What do you think?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GettyImages 1216196506

The best way to enjoy summer produce is over the grill.

Chinese official dies during investigation into marathon deaths